Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Yesterday, a stranger gave me a dollar.

  Well, not a complete stranger. Who else can say that a stranger has given them a dollar? I didn't ask for it, she just gave it to me. I sat next to her on the plane to San Diego, my new home. My new home. I don't know when I will be used to saying that. Anyways...here's the story. The short version.

  I was standing in the kitchen of my parent's house in Birmingham, Alabama,  looking into the fridge at a gallon of sweet tea. My mind was completely racing with the usual thoughts when my mom peeked her head around the corner, and said in a slightly careful tone, "Hey, Anna...I found an art program in San Diego close to grandma and grandpa's house, it looks really nice".

  Right then I made the decision. I just...knew. I was going back to where I grew up. There was nothing I wanted more in the world than to go back. To me, everything here is better. And going back to school wouldn't hurt anything. Sure, missing the life that I had made for myself and dealing with extreme change came to mind, but I did NOT care. I wanted out of Alabama!

And here I am .

  The past few days, everything that I have hoped for has fallen into my lap. The good-bye party was a complete blast, A few friends from my past came to see me ( I love you KIA and KEN!!), and my mom even joined the party. My seemingly impossible dream of moving back to the west coast came true, but all the while, even while i was boarding the plane out of Birmingham, I couldn't help but have my doubts.

Then I saw her..
She was wearing the usual hippie knitted clothes,which were hanging loosely over her bone-thin shoulders, all natural colors, her hair was in the most beautifully messy dreadlocks, and she smelled of scented oil. After scanning over ever normal-smelling, un-intimidating Kohl's wardrobe designed person there...I would rather sit next to her. I have no idea why, but I couldn't turn against that little voice telling me to do so.

Good News! Most interesting person I have ever met award goes to.... You guessed it! Karen the perfumey
dreadlock lady! Thank you Jesus. Anyways, the rest of the story is kind of important but I'm tired of typing right now. I'm new to this blog thing.


I love art, I love my friends, I love the dreadlock lady who gave me a dollar for good luck, and I LOVE San Diego.

much love and bananas

No comments:

Post a Comment